Louth boss glad to see side rediscover ‘hunger and desire’ in Pontefract win

Louth Town 4-2 Pontefract Collieries

LOUTH Town boss Daryl Clare was a much happier man when the final whistle blew and his team had secured a vital three points which shot them back to second place in the league, just one point behind the leaders.

“It was very satisfying to see players rediscover their hunger and desire to win,” he said.

“We tried a new formation and it gave us a new dimension going forward and the lads can feel strong and confident going into the next two difficult away fixtures.”

He was right, Louth Town not only won but won well. Pontefract Collieries didn’t know what hit them when Louth began in very lively mood, a mood they maintained for the whole 90 minutes. Pontefract had their attempts early on but were easily contained by the home side.

The pressure was on the visitors for most of the opening 15 minutes and only some good defending kept the White Wolves at bay. Goalkeeper Simon Kemp held the defence together but something had to give and in the 25th minute Matt Kennedy finally outclassed the goalkeeper and his defence and smashed home to make it 1-0.

A few minutes later James McDaid was shown the yellow card for the visitors after a number of fouls.

Soon afterwards, in the 28th minute, Callum Highland headed home to finish off some good work from Kennedy and made it 2-0.

To their credit, Pontefract were stung to make greater efforts and could have scored when home goalkeeper Ian MacTaggart slipped at a crucial moment, his defenders coming to the rescue.

Just after half-time the home supporters stared in disbelief as a clear penalty was turned down and instead the excellent Elliot Broughton was shown a yellow card for supposed diving.

In the 52nd minute McDaid scored for the visitors but Louth remained cool and kept working.

Visiting skipper Dean Twibey was yellow carded as the game became a little more physical but Louth kept at their task and in the 75th minute Andy Willoughby was in the right place at the right time to tap the ball home and make it 3-1.

Rocky Rawlings then joined the fray as Paul Goodhand left for a rest.

Pontefract kept trying and had another reward in the 79th minute when Thompson steered the ball home after a rare defensive lapse.

The scoring wasn’t over though and Jack Wightwick who had come off the bench earlier to replace Broughton, broke free and hammered the ball into the net to restore Louth’s two-goal advantage. Paul Coulam replaced Dan Pawson for the remaining few minutes and when the final whistle blew Louth still looked the fresher of the two sides.

It was not just a great team effort but a great squad effort that earned the points and made up for the disappointment of the last two matches.

To follow, Louth face back-to-back away matches but go into then with renewed confidence and determination.

Report by Mica Bale