Louth grab a creditable draw at Yorkshire Amateur

Louth skipper Carl Martin.
Louth skipper Carl Martin.

LOUTH TOWN were denied a rare away victory at Yorkshire Amateur on Tuesday night after a second half goal cancelled out Mike Armstrong’s early strike.

The game was lit up by the lightning storm taking place in the Leeds night sky and despite the torrential rain, both sides contributed to what turned out to be a very entertaining clash.

Injuries and unavailability meant Town travelled to West Yorkshire with a depleted squad of just 12 as the amount of games played started to catch up with them.

The White Wolves began the game brightly, stroking the ball around the field well. They could have taken the lead as early as the second minute when Armstrong linked well with Matt Kennedy to create an opening for Elliot Broughton. His 18 yard strike was parried by home goalkeeper Josh Proctor and Andy Willoughby fired the rebound wide.

The hosts hit back immediately in what would be a theme of the game. A fine double save from Craig Wherry in the Louth goal kept the game scoreless when Kyle Collins had a shy from distance and Dennis Katora hit the rebound goalwards. From the resulting corner Jamie Hainworth somehow volleyed wide when it looked easier to score.

With 12 minutes played Wherry was again called upon. Katora powered his way into the penalty area before hitting a low shot that the goalkeeper saved at full stretch.

But on 23 minutes the visitors took the lead. Armstrong dribbled into the area before rounding Proctor and calmly putting the ball into the corner from a tight angle to make it 1-0.

As the first half ticked towards its completion, the dangerous Collins cut inside before blazing his shot high and wide of Wherry’s goal.

Kennedy’s free kick for Louth at the start of the second half beat the Yorkshire wall but landed straight in the arms of Proctor before Joshua Grant cut inside Louth’s Rocky Rawlings but could only shoot into the side netting.

The home side did draw level though just before the hour mark thanks to a stunning goal. Adam Shaw was allowed to run 20 yards unchallenged in the Louth half before unleashing a thunderous 30-yard shot that flew into the top corner past Wherry.

The game continued to be stretched as both sides went all out for the winner which both will have felt they had deserved.

Louth’s Pawson saw his header beat Proctor in the home goal, only to be cleared off the line by Craig Maynard. Visiting captain Carl Martin was unfortunate just minutes later as the skipper’s spectacular overhead kick was well saved by Proctor.

Grant’s long shot for Yorkshire Amateur then whistled well wide before the same player’s curling free kick was comfortably held by Wherry.

Frazer Chapman entered the fray with ten minutes remaining as he made his Louth debut.

With five minutes to go Louth boss Paul Walden was sent to the stands for allegedly making comments to match referee Dave Sullivan.

And the visitors’ boss almost saw his side concede a late goal as Thomas Marsden’s low cross flew across the face of goal with no one able to connect with the ball.

In the end it was a well earned point for both sides. The result moves Louth up to 17th above Dinnington Town with 12 points from 12 outings. The White Wolves visit 14th placed Shirebrook Town on Saturday (3pm) as they bid to build on their recent improved form.

See next Wednesday’s Leader for the full report.