Louth march on in league cup after Worsborough triumph

Louth Town marched through into the next round of the league cup with a thumping 3-0 victory at Worsborough Bridge Athletic on Wednesday night.

Manager Daryl Clare said before the clash that promotion was far more important yet the White Wolves still gave an excellent performance.

The small band of Louth away supporters included a pair of new faces, all looking forward to a continuing run in the League Cup. The White Wolves did not let them down and put on a powerful and entertaining display. Manager Daryl Clare started and used his experience to ensure the rest of the team played to the best of their abilities.

An unchanged defence and a reshaped midfield and forward line kicked off into the slope of a wet but playable pitch. Worsborough started strongly with two powerful shots on target, but Ian MacTaggart was more than equal to them.

Town’s first major attack saw Stevens given a free kick on 25 yards, but he saw his stinger went just wide of the post.

With Pawson hitting the crossbar and good runs by Broughton and Wightwick, Town were showing their superiority. On 15 minutes the diminutive Jack Wightwick broke through the defence and superbly lobbed the ball over the hapless Andrew in the visitor’s goal.

It was not all Louth as Worsborough used the downhill slope to their advantage but they could not break through the defensive wall controlled by Carl Martin. There was just one lapse when a certain offside was not flagged and the defence hesitated but Stevens saved the day with a fantastic off the line clearance.

Back upfield Wightwick teamed up with Manders and his hard shot rebounded off the ‘keeper.

As anticipated Worsborough came out strong after the break but to no avail as Louth held firm in all departments even when their opponent made two substitutions.

In the 78th minute a clear handball in the area by Worsborough led to a penalty and Paul Goodhand made no mistake with the spot kick to put Town 2-0 ahead. A minute later Louth made their final substitution when Chris Ella replaced the injured Paul Goodhand. It took only two minutes for Ella to make his mark. Turning when closely marked, he smartly struck the ball from 18 yards to give us the final score. It was an excellent all round team display, every member deserved praise.

After the game a delighted Daryl Clare commented: “Another impressive performance and back to back wins. We are just beginning to warm up now, but I still believe our best is yet to come. The football was tidy going forward and it was good to see some different names on the scoresheet alongside a well earned clean sheet.

“Now we are looking forward to our next league match away to Teversal who are in there with the mix of clubs going for promotion. We shall have to be at our best and hopefully will be.”