Louth succumb to Emley defeat as league woes continue

LOUTH TOWN failed to build on their weekend win as they were beaten 3-2 by AFC Emley at Park Avenue last night.

Danny Kilmore fired the White Wolves into the lead on 25 minutes, but an equaliser before the break and two second half goals won the points for the West Yorkshire side before Kilmore netted a late penalty.

Paul Walden’s men began the game well, and had a flurry of early half-chances without really threatening the scoresheet.

On 15 minutes came the first drama of the game. A long clearance from Louth ‘keeper Craig Wherry flew over the defence and Kilmore raced through on the goal. The visitors’ goalkeeper Valente punched clear on the edge of the box and the referee waved play on despite strong appeals from Louth players and management.

Emley defender Tayo then misjudged another long ball which let in Jason Flint. The striker tried to lift the ball over the goalkeeper but his shot lacked power.

As the half grew on Louth were looking increasingly dangerous, a Carl Martin header and a Kilmore strike both threatened.

On 24 minutes the hosts took the lead. Coulson robbed the ball from Tayo and hit a low cross which Kilmore was able to stretch out a leg to and put the ball past the ‘keeper. Moments later the goalscorer almost made it two, he twisted the turned the defence but his shot failed to trouble Valente.

Despite dominating early play, Louth let Emley back into the game on 38 minutes. A swift counter-attack saw Heagney pick out Holt who drove in from the flank and clipped the ball past Wherry to make it 1-1. And it could have been worse for the hosts before the break, with Wharam unlucky to see his curling shot fly just wide.

Minutes into the second half Emley took the lead. David Heagney’s 20 yarder struck a Louth defender and looped over the helpess Wherry and into the net. Louth were ruing their luck as well as their earlier missed chances.

The impressive Holt then went on a mazy run from his own half, beating Wood and Appleby before shooting straight at Wherry.

The second half was dominated by sloppy play from both sides. The sense of frustration from the team and the home fans grew, as all imagination and creativity seemed to go astray.

Jason Flint almost created a rare opening with some neat play, turning his marker but the defender was able to intervene as he looked to play in Coulson.

With five minutes left the visitors made certain of the win. As Warvill went down under a heavy challenge the referee played a good advantage, the ball fell to Dean Wharam who superbly lobbed Wherry from 25 yards. It was a real moment of magic in an otherwise unforgettable half.

But Town ploughed on and were rewarded with a consolation goal in stoppage time. A sharp turn from the ever willing Flint brought a late challenge sending the frontman crashing to the floor. Kilmore stepped up to convert the penalty and net his second of the game.

In truth Town never really got going against their opponents and now find themselves deep in a relegation battle in 18th place with just ten points. They take on ninth placed Bottesford Town in a Lincolnshire derby at Park Avenue on Saturday (3pm).

See next week’s Leader for the full report.