Louth suffer heavy home defeat as bad run continues

LOUTH’S league form continued to stutter as they were swept aside 4-0 by an impressive Eccleshill United at Park Avenue last night. The visitors struck three times in the first half before adding a fourth in the second despite Louth growing into the game as it wore on.

The West Yorkshire side sat 4th in the league at kick off, with Louth as low as 18th after a run of poor results and dropping behind on games played. The home side were looking to bounce back from the weekend’s FA Cup defeat to Buxton.

With boss Paul Walden away, assistant Simon Aldrich took care of first team duties.

Eccleshill were the first to pose any threat as Edwards broke free through the right with just the keeper to beat before spraying his shot wide of the far post.

And the visitors broke the deadlock after 10 minutes when Andrew Howland’s ball over the top was met by Edwards who calmly took the ball to the side of the keeper and finished neatly.

As Louth looked to find a way into the game, a long kick from Wherry fell to Coulson who managed to get a good flick onto frontman Norton who held the ball up well before hitting a shot high over the bar.

Just before the half hour mark it was that man Edwards again who found space on the left hand side of the area, the hitman then deftly chipped the stranded Wherry with a superb effort to make it 2-0.

The White Wolves were finding themselves involved in a real uphill battle now and it was goalscorer Edwards proving the difference.

The Eagles made it 3-0 on 41 minutes. A dangerous corner from Fieldhouse caused mayhem in the Louth goalmouth and it fell kindly to Victor Balis who fired his shot into the net through a crowded penalty area.

As the half ended Louth were left feeling demoralised as they went into the break 3-0 down and looking short of ideas.

But Louth started the second half brightly, playing the ball around with some swagger but when the ball was played up to Willoughby he was too isolated and lacked the support needed to create a real chance on goal.

Marcus Edwards should have done much better when he rounded Wherry and was on the touchline Balis screaming on the six yard line for a pass that would have resulted in a simple tap-in; however he attempted a shot at an incredibly acute angle, missing the target.

The pacy Flint looked to make an impact as he made his long awaited debut as he replaced Fairburn with around 20 minutes to go.

With 15 minutes to go, the result was confirmed. Balis got away from his marker on the left with too much ease before playing the ball across the box to an unmarked Penn to make it 4-0.

As the final whistle went, it was another league defeat for Louth whose league form must be starting to puzzle manager Walden. Town had played much better in the second half but lacked that final ball and cutting edge which was needed to get on the score-sheet.

The White Wolves are at home again on Saturday when they face Handsworth at Park Avenue (3pm).

Report supplied by Dan Branowsky.