Louth suffer league setback ahead of FA Cup showdown

LOUTH TOWN suffered another defeat on Tuesday night, a 3-2 league reversal at Teversal meant they go into Saturday’s huge FA Cup game with Buxton on the back of three straight defeats.

An uncharacteristic error from Louth ‘keeper Craig Wherry gifted the hosts an equaliser after Dan Pawson’s strike, and Teversal added two second half goals to complete a pulsating win.

After 41 minutes of a fairly uneventful opening half, Louth took the lead. A neat build up saw Elliot Broughton’s cross met by the head of Pawson who thundered the header past the home goalkeeper.

The home side missed a golden chance to equalise straight after though, with William Harcourt somehow poking straight at Wherry from five yards when it looked easier to score.

But Teversal did draw level on 45 minutes, Wherry rushed from his goal to clear a loose ball and somehow failed to connect. Striker Ryan Atkins gratefully leapt through to score the equaliser.

Town began the second half brightly, Mark Fairburn’s run ended when it appeared he had been tripped in the box. But the referee waved away strong penalty appeals.

But just three minutes later the hosts were in front. Goalscorer Atkins turned provider as his low cross was tapped in by Greg Tobin.

And moments later it was 3-1, a loose ball on the edge of the box was met by Colin Cockerill who smashed the ball into the corner leaving Wherry with no chance.

With 20 minutes left, Louth gave themselves hope. Mark Wood marked his first appearance of the season with a 20 yard curler of a free kick which flew into the top corner. It was a stunning strike which capped a brilliant performance.

The hosts saw late chances go to waste, with Cockerill, Tobin and Danny Wilson all missing opportunities.

Louth pushed for the equaliser and Wherry was forced into a late save before the final whistle blew.

Town boss Paul Walden will do his best to lift his players ahead of their FA Cup qualifier against Buxton on Saturday at Park Avenue (3pm). Buxton boast former Nottingham Forest and Lincoln City frontman Spencer Weir-Daley in their ranks.

Supporters are asked to arrive as early for the game as possible as a larger crowd than usual is expected.

Follow the Leader for the full match report and reaction for what is undoubtedly Louth’s biggest game in their history.