Louth Town FC battle Dronfield Town FC


Louth Town 1 Dronfield Town 3

Louth Town were beaten 3-1 at Park Avenue despite a battling performance from Steve Cooper’s team, writes Dave Wilson.

The caretaker player manager left himself out of the starting eleven for his first home game in charge to stand on the touch line with his assistant, Andy Thorn.

He will have been pleased with what he saw early on as Town almost got off to the perfect start when Renzie Loberdham saw his header from a corner saved.

Both teams settled quickly and with Dronfield playing a high backline Louth threatened to beat the off-side trap on a number of occasions in the opening exchanges.

However, it was the visitors who broke the deadlock after 10 minutes when Ben Kristen latched on to a loose ball after it had cannoned back off the Louth cross-bar.

Louth’s response was a positive one and James Deeming put a good effort just wide before Marcus Mason saw a fierce effort blocked.

Neither keeper was unduly troubled for the remainder of the half and the visitors took their slender lead into the break.

Louth sent on fit again Danny Webb for the start of the second half and he immediately introduced extra urgency into the home attacks.

Gareth Flint broke clear only to be denied by a last ditch challenge as the home side pushed for an equaliser.

Dronfield were looking second best at this point yet it was they who doubled their lead again reacting quickly to a loose ball in the area to score through Maubey.

This season there has been a tendency for Louth heads to drop after going 2 goals down but already Steve Cooper has instilled a harder backbone into the side and he came on after 66 minutes to help make sure that this continued..

Danny Webb forced the Dronfield keeper, Nick Siddons into making an acrobatic save and Gareth Flint hit a well struck shot which was again well dealt with by Siddons.

Siddons was by far the busier of the two keepers and when a rasping drive from Renzie Loberdam proved too hot for him to handle he just recovered in time to pounce on the loose ball as Loberdam followed up.

With Louth coming more and more in the ascendancy, they were hit on the break and substitute Steve Whitehead scored a solo goal, much against the run of play.

Still Louth refused to lie down and continued to attack.

Danny Webb stung the keeper’s fingers and Tom Summers went close with a spectacular over head kick before Louth finally got the goal their attacking play deserved. It was stark consolation but Lewis Buckthorpe’s first goal for the club was certainly the goal of the game as he lashed the ball into the roof of the net from 25 yards.

Despite battling hard right to the end Louth couldn’t add to Buckthorpe’s stunning goal. Dronfield’s keeper was certainly their best player and it was he who proved to be the difference between the two sides.

The Don Noble man of the match award went to Jason Flint.

Louth travel to Dinnington on Saturday, kick-off 3pm.