Louth Town hit back as rise up the table continues

Louth Town skipper Carl Martin celebrates with his team mates during the 3-1 win over Askern Villa.
Louth Town skipper Carl Martin celebrates with his team mates during the 3-1 win over Askern Villa.

LOUTH Town’s rise up the league table continued as they came from behind to beat Askern Villa 3-1 at Park Avenue on Saturday.

After falling behind to an early goal from Regis Mauambu, Town hit back with Mark Wood and Jason Flint before Matt Kennedy added the finishing touches with a late strike.

After three weeks without a game Paul Walden’s men were desperate to make an early impact but conceded after just nine minutes. Home keeper Craig Wherry failed to deal with a weak shot from Rollins and Mauambu followed up the rebound to make it 1-0 to the strugglers.

Louth responded well and moved the ball around patiently. Kennedy was causing problems but it was striker Steve Norton who came closest with a header from six yards which fell just wide.

Mark Wood then forced a fingertip save from Copley in the away goal.

But Villa were looking good value for the lead and Rafferty found himself unmarked at the back post but his header was well saved by Wherry.

With ten minutes left before the break Town upped the ante and Wood’s cross from the wing evaded everyone including Norton to nestle into the far corner and make it 1-1.

Louth continued to press and Norton shrugged off his markers before crossing to Danny Kilmore whose header forced another good save from Copley.

But Town wouldn’t be denied and Flint made it 2-1 on 44 minutes. Kennedy wrestled the ball away from Gibbons and squared it unselfishly for Flint who slotted home.

Both teams found themselves bogged down with misplaced passes and petty fouls after the break, with neither able to carve out many chances on the heavy Park Avenue pitch.

Kilmore dribbled at the defence before laying it off to Norton but the striker hit straight at the goalkeeper.

With only an 11 man squad, Askern were visibly tiring and Town were the most likely to net the game’s important next goal. They came agonisingly close when Norton was denied a 16th goal of the season when his shot was cleared off the line and Broughton spurned the rebound.

But the the final minutes ticking away Kennedy smashed home a loose ball to make it 2-1 and give Town a 10th league win.

A crowd of 104 gave Town one of their best home gates of the season.

The White Wolves visit eighth placed Eccleshill United on Saturday as they begin a run of eight successive away games.

Meanwhile the re-arranged Wilkinson Sword Trophy semi-final has been set for Tuesday, March 6 at Park Avenue (7.45pm) with the winners meeting Grimsby Borough in a two-legged final.