Louth Town Reserves win after second half rampage

Louth Town reserves had a first half to forget and were trailing 2-0 away to Heckington United – then came storming back in the second half to win 3-2. Heckington put up a good fight and it’s hard to see why they’re second from bottom of the Lincs league. Town, on the other hand, refused to give in and did brilliantly to pull off a dramatic comeback.

Paul Coulam spotted the goalkeeper off his line and nearly chipped him from long range, but he made a recovery tipping the ball over. A minute later the hosts took an early lead once a shot flew in from the edge of the box.

Heckington doubled their advantage when a player was released down the right and cut inside to shoot. Ben Smith was only able to parry the ball to another player who netted the rebound.

In the 36th minute Mike Armstrong floated in a free kick to Adam Christopher whose diving header rattled the crossbar. It was a fine effort by Christopher and he was unfortunate not to have scored his first goal since returning to the club.

Town kept going and Paul Coulam had chances either side of half time. Towards the end of the first half he raced clear of the defence and was marginally off target. Barely a minute into the second half the ball fell kindly to him in a crowded penalty box and he fired inches wide of the left post.

Midway through the second half Sam Hallett capitalized on a major error to pull a goal back. Although there seemed to be little danger, the goalkeeper made a hash of his clearance and Hallett was able to blast into the roof of the net.

Armstrong had a strong penalty appeal turned down. The powerful striker surged into the area and was blatantly tripped from behind by an opponent; however, the referee very wrongly took no action.

Soon after the injustice a penalty kick was awarded for a less obvious foul on Dave Pawson. A defender clipped Dave Pawson’s heels and he was honest enough to stay on his feet, but no advantage occurred so a penalty was given. The ever reliable Hallett tucked his spot kick into the bottom left corner and Town were level with 13 minutes remaining.

Both sides were looking for a late winner and Heckington could have got it from a set piece. A free kick in a promising position hit the wall and deflected behind. The resulting corner kick was met by a header which Smith did well to save.

At the other end Town also came close from a corner that Armstrong drilled in low and hard to Dave Pawson. The latter was unlucky to see his first time effort narrowly miss. It looked like the teams would have to settle for a draw at that stage – Paul Coulam had other ideas though.

In stoppage time Armstrong beat the offside trap to get to a long clearance over the top and dribbled into the danger zone. Armstrong unselfishly squared to Paul Coulam who slotted in ensuring Town came away with all 3 points.

Town’s performance in the second half was outstanding and it needed to be to turn that one around. The White Wolves are now up to ninth in the table thanks to their never say die attitude.

Craig Dalton, the skipper and player/manager for this match, couldn’t complain after such an improvement in the second half, “This was certainly a game of two halves! At half time we changed the formation from 3-5-2 to our usual 4-4-2 and it worked. In the second half we put them under pressure and crucified them. We got our reward for showing good spirit.”

The next team Town play are Sleaford Town reserves in the Lincs league. This will be away on Saturday December 1, 2pm.

Match stats:

Smith; Burton, Dalton (c), D.Pawson; Christopher, P.Coulam, Hallett, Stainton (Walton 62), S.McSpadden; Armstrong, Harley.

Booked: N/A

Sent off: N/A

Scorer(s): Hallett 68, (pen) 77, P.Coulam 90+1.

Man of the match: P.Coulam.