Louth Town slip to eighth after defeat at Pontefract Collieries

Louth Town saw their run of league away games without a win stretch to six as they fell to a 3-1 defeat at Pontefract Collieries on Saturday.

Town conceded early but got back on level terms thanks to Matt Kennedy’s 19th of the season, before two more first half goals inflicted a sixth league defeat of the campaign.

Callum Hyland nearly scored for the White Wolves with an attack in the very first minute but Pontefract got the all important opener on three minutes through Luke Durham.

Good shots from Jon Walton and Kennedy were well defended by Pontefract’s goalkeeper but Town kept up the pressure and Kennedy got his reward when he struck the equaliser.

Certainly the 70 fans in attendance at The Beechnut Lane Stadium knew they were in for a good game.

Louth Town were determined to take the lead and they nearly did several times but in the 34th minute it all went wrong when Pontefract were given a penalty which Brenton Leistertook converted despite MacTaggert`s excellent attempts to keep it out.

Despite Pontefract`s 2-1 lead, Louth continued to play well but during the last minute of added time in the first half a lapse in concentration led to Pontefract`s Andrew Catton netting a third.

A fresh Louth Town side came out for the second half with renewed vigour but were unable to claw themselves back in the game.

Even when manager Daryl Clare threw himself into the fray the former Grimsby Town frontman was unable to conjure up any of his old magic.

Town has dominated the majority of the play but left West Yorkshire empty handed despite perhaps deserving something from the game.

The result sees the White Wolves drop to eighth in the NCEL Division One table, with 43 points from 25 games.

Town are due visit league leaders Athersley Recreation on Tuesday night, where they hope to reel in the division’s top side.

Their next fixture at home to bottom side Selby Town at Park Avenue on Saturday (3pm). Get down and support the White Wolves if you can!