Mablethorpe Athletic bounce back at Ludford

Mablethorpe's Ashley Perkins launches a long throw-in during the 5-3 win at Ludford EMN-150825-100415002
Mablethorpe's Ashley Perkins launches a long throw-in during the 5-3 win at Ludford EMN-150825-100415002

Mablethorpe Athletic continued their pre-season preparations with a free-scoring 5-3 win over Ludford Rovers.

It was a welcome boost for manager Mick Stubbs following the previous week’s 3-1 defeat to Skegness United.

On a hot and sunny day at Ludford, Mablethorpe made a perfect start and scored twice in the first three minutes.

With less than two minutes played, Mitch Whiley latched onto a well-timed pass from Alex Carter to open the scoring. Whiley then turned provider, playing in Lee Twigg who scored barely a minute later.

Ludford responded with two quick goals when George Bennett headed in Chris Drayton’s cross before Drayton equalised with a fine individual effort.

Mablethorpe retook the lead on 16 minutes through James Foad, the young winger sliding onto Twigg’s low cross and guiding the ball home.

Jamie Pittam saved well to deny Drayton before Mablethorpe made it 4-2 in just the 26th minute. Whiley saw his first effort blocked in a crowded penalty area before firing in the rebound.

The flurry of first half goals continued as Bennett got his second from a free kick which flew past the wall and found its way in thanks to a huge bobble off the turf.

After an incredible 45 minutes there were fewer chances and only one more goal in the second half.

Mablethorpe picked up where they left off after the interval with Stewart Thomas and Twigg going close.

Soon afterwards Twigg ran onto a perfectly weighted through ball by debutant Ashley Perkins to net his second and Mablethorpe’s fifth of the afternoon.

Midway through the half Ludford’s goalkeeper Alan Baxter limped off injured so Bennett took over between the sticks, and he was soon called into action, saving efforts from Luke Turner and Mathew Sirett.

At the other end Pittam also pulled off saves to deny Sean Healy and Jason Lake.

Late on James Hannigan headed a corner by Ben Picksley wide before Healy blasted narrowly off target with the last kick of the game.

With the likes of Adam Cannon and Courtney Skeldon missing, Stubbs was pleased his side found the net so often.

“We made a great start, but got a little sloppy in patches,” he said.

“I made roll-on substitutions throughout the match which affected our rhythm a bit. I needed to, though, so the lads could get water breaks on a hot day. It meant they all got a good run-out, too.

“A few players played in unfamiliar positions like Mitch Whiley and Lee Twigg, but they went up front and both scored.

Alex Carter started in midfield and played very well in defence in the second half, as did Ashley Perkins on his debut.

“It was another good workout for those available and I think we could have won the game by more goals.”

Mablethorpe (4-4-2): Pittam; Thomas, Brownson, Sirett (c), Williamson; Foad, Perkins (Fish), Carter, Mackay; Whiley (Turner), Twigg.