Mablethorpe Athletic edge Tydd St James in County Cup replay

No Caption ABCDE
No Caption ABCDE

Mablethorpe Athletic booked their place in the last 16 of the Lincolnshire County Cup after extra time.

Tydd St Mary had won the original tie 3-0 at their place, but broke competition rules in using four substitutes and rolling substitutions so the result did not stand and a replay ordered.

Athletic played much better and eventually won 3-1 after extra time and justice was done.

Adam Cannon returned for the first time in more than a month and took less than three minutes to open the scoring.

Mitch Whiley whipped in a cross from the right and Courtney Skeldon flicked on for Cannon to blast in from a tight angle.

Minutes later Cannon was somehow denied by an astonishing point-blank save from David Cooper.

Mablethorpe built on their promising start and Skeldon curled a free-kick inches over before Dave Quinn shot narrowly wide from long range.

Tydd created their first chance towards half-time when Luke Tordoff headed wide from Stu Easey’s free-kick.

The visitors improved after the break and equalised on 58 minutes when Tim Lowe fired in from 10 yards.

Within moments of the restart Josh Slator squandered a great chance, blazing wide after being put through by Devon Furness, and midway through the half, Cannon raced clear, but Cooper pulled off an amazing save to deflect his effort onto the crossbar.

At the other end Jamie Pittam also made a superb save to keep out Paul Clarke’s close-range header.

As both sides pushed for a winner Cannon was thwarted by another Cooper save at his near post, and Scott Pemberton missed a good opportunity before Jason Powley’s shot was well blocked by Matthew Sirett.

Into extra time, Jake Marshall volleyed just wide from Skeldon’s corner, and soon after Cooper saved Skeldon’s free-kick at full stretch.

Danny Marshall finally restored Mablethorpe’s lead after 103 minutes.

Skeldon rattled the bar with a corner and Marcus Mackay crossed back into a crowded penalty area. It was headed out to Marshall who drilled in from the edge of the box.

In the second period Pittam denied Pemberton with an excellent save before Marshall added his second in the 110th minute, latching onto Mackay’s free-kick to bundle in from close range.

Pemberton and Cannon were dismissed late on for an off-the-ball incident, but it didn’t overshadow a memorable County Cup tie.

Mablethorpe manager Mick Stubbs was delighted to reach the next round.

“We had more possession and chances and we deserved the win,” he said.

“It was difficult for both teams on a windy afternoon, but we dug in and played some good football.

“Man-of-the-match was hard to decide, but I chose Jamie Pittam. He had safe hands and was in control of his job, but every player worked hard for 120 minutes and I was very pleased.”

Mablethorpe (4-3-3): Pittam; Mackay, Sirett (c), J. Marshall, Billingham; Quinn, Bebbington, Whiley; Cannon, Skeldon, D. Marshall.

* On Saturday, Mablethorpe visit Hartwell Rovers in round one of the Junior Challenge Cup (kick-off 1.45pm).