Monks’ Dyke seal final spot in all-Louth cup semi-final derby

No Caption ABCDE
No Caption ABCDE

Monks’ Dyke’s year eight football team earned their place in the Lincolnshire County Cup final with a deserved 2-0 win over local rivals King Edward.

In an all-Louth semi-final played on a freezing afternoon at Wood Lane on Friday, strikes from Nathan Marsh and Jay Turner earned Monks’ Dyke Tennyson College a final spot.

Despite the conditions both sides flew out of the traps but it was Monks’ Dyke who drew first blood mid-way through the first half when Marsh bundled in at the back post after a cross from the right wing.

Monks’ Dyke held onto their lead until the break despite some quick counter attacking football from King Edward VI Grammar School.

After the interval Monks’ Dyke came out looking for the second and started well creating plenty of chances.

And their hard work was rewarded by a stunning goal by Turner to double the lead.

Still the KEVIGS side refused to give up and knew a quick goal could change things, but they were unable to break through the solid defence of the Monks’ Dyke team.

The final whistle came and Monks’ Dyke were relieved to have booked their place in the final against either Boston Grammar School or Grantham’s King’s School at Sleaford Town’s Eslaforde Park stadium.

The man of the match award went to James Larder.

Steve Wright, team coach and Head of PE at Monks’ Dyke was delighted with his side’s victory.

“I’m so proud of the boys and what they have achieved so far, I hope they can finish it off with a win in the final,” he said.

KEVIGS’ team coach Ian Thrower was magnanimous in defeat.

“On the day the best team won,” he said.

“They were quicker to the ball and didn’t let us get into our passing which is usually our strong point.

“I am very proud that the boys reached this stage in the competition. All the best to MDTC in the final.

“Let’s hope it’s a Louth team’s name on the trophy.”

Watch some video action from the match by clicking here and here

Tweet: @LouthLSam