Stevens grabs a hat-trick as Louth make cup progress

Share this article

LOUTH TOWN booked their place in the second round of the Wilkinson Sword Trophy on Tuesday night with a resounding 5-1 victory over Worksop Parramore at Park Avenue.

Danny Stevens was the hero for Town, scoring a set-piece hat trick to add to goals from Danny Kilmore and Jamie Coulson.

The hosts began the game in similar fashion as they had finished Saturday’s 3-1 win over Appleby Frodingham, with Mark Fairburn heading Rocky Rawlings’ corner just over the bar in the opening minute of the match.

It wasn’t long before Louth took the lead as defender Stevens’ free kick was curled around the visitors’ wall and past the despairing dive of ‘keeper Steve Booth on 13 minutes.

Worksop looked to hit back immediately and were unfortunate that Ryan Hindley’s strike was ruled out for offside. Hindley was involved again just moments later, firing over the bar from 12 yards out.

Moments later a patient build up down Louth’s left flank saw the home side double their lead. Elliott Broughton combined with Fairburn to tee up Kilmore who tapped home from close range.

Louth nearly scored a third seven minutes later as Ben Brown’s header looked like creeping into his own goal, but it somehow squirmed wide.

The hosts went into the break looking comfortable at 2-0, and looking the likelier to add to the scoresheet.

And they did add to their tally on 50 minutes, Broughton was felled in the box and Stevens buried the penalty in the right hand corner.

The White Wolves had a lucky escape seconds after the third, as goalkeeper Craig Wherry mis-kicked his clearance straight to Nolan, who, with the goal at his mercy, sliced his effort wide.

The visitors did pull a goal back on 65 minutes played as they too were awarded a penalty. Wherry was adjudged to have brought down Simon Asquith and Nolan kept his cool to send Wherry the wrong way from the spot.

But hopes of a Parramore comeback were dashed soon after as Stevens converted the third penalty of the game after Pawson was tripped. He coolly grabbed his hat trick, slotting the ball into the same corner as his previous spot kick.

And substitute Coulson put the icing on the cake with the fifth, bursting into the area past two challenges to lash the ball high into the net.

The win made it two wins on the bounce for town and confidence will be high as they make their FA Cup bow at Gedling Miners Welfare this Saturday. Kick off in the Extra Preliminary Round tie is 3pm.

See next week’s Leader for the match report and full reaction to the game.