VIDEO: Mablethorpe lift East Lincolnshire cup after tight final against Alford

Mablethorpe Athletic won the East Lincs Cup defeating Alford Town 4-3 in an epic final.

The stage was set for what proved to be an unforgettable night, Mablethorpe winning 4-3 thanks to a 35-yard winner by Adam Brownson.

Mablehtorpe Athletic lift the East Lincs Cup EMN-150426-141550001

Mablehtorpe Athletic lift the East Lincs Cup EMN-150426-141550001

On Tuesday evening Jack Wightwick starred in Louth Town’s 7-0 victory over Yorkshire Amateur. 24 hours later he was on Alford’s side for the cup final.

And it was Wightwick who came close to scoring early on. The prodigy raced clear and forced James Ryan into an excellent save.

Soon afterwards Mablethorpe had the ball in the net only to see the goal disallowed for offside. Lee Twigg latched onto Andrew Wyer’s through ball and slotted in - he had timed his run a little too early though.

Midway through the half Ryan saved a header from Michael Brown. Minutes later he pulled off another save to deny Wightwick.

Mablethorpe had a penalty after Tom Wilson fouled Adam Cannon in the area. Adam Brownson converted it to give Mablethorpe the lead, but Alford equalized less than two minutes later.

Brown drilled in a low cross from the left and Wightwick tapped in at the far post.

Within three minutes of the restart Tom Lempard tripped Cannon in the box so another penalty was given. Cannon took it that time and made no mistake to restore Mablethorpe’s advantage.

However, Lempard made amends by setting up a goal on 39 minutes. The young midfielder cut inside and pulled the ball back for Michael Limb to blast home.

Towards the end of the half Joe Irving was thwarted by a great block from Max Billingham. He then forced Ryan into a save in stoppage time.

Wightwick did not return for the second half due to a hamstring injury and was replaced by Alex Simpson.

Alford took the lead briefly through Brown who curled a shot in from the edge of the box.

Mablethorpe equalized just eight minutes later when Courtney Skeldon released Cannon and he scored his one-on-one with Andrew White.

After a thoroughly entertaining 60 minutes the game eventually went through and uneventful period. Both sides were cancelling each other out and extra time was looming – until the outcome was decided by a moment of brilliance.

Carter passed to Adam Brownson on the left and he unleashed a thunderbolt from 35-yards. The ball flew past White and into the top right corner to send Mablethorpe’s supporters wild.

That made the final score 4-3 to Mablethorpe. It was a goal worthy of winning any football match.

Alford battled tirelessly and were a bit unlucky to lose.

Mablethorpe’s Mick Stubbs was honoured to win the cup. He said: “What a game and what a night!

“Alford are a strong side and we knew it would be difficult, but the lads dug deep and won after a great performance. We started with so much determination and belief that we could win. We moved the ball around quickly and controlled the tempo of the game well.

“The final itself was very exciting and there was a good crowd. It was won by the best team on the night.

“We are having a super season and must now push on to win promotion in the league.”

Mablethorpe are next in action on Tuesday, April 28, at home to Alford Town in the league (6:30pm).

Mablethorpe (4-1-4-1): Ryan; Brownson, Mail, Billingham, Sirett (c); Carter; Twigg (Turner 90), Skeldon (Pittam 87), Wyer, Mackay (Williamson 88); Cannon