Louth Hockey Club men’s team top of the league

Louth Town Men’s Hockey Team 6 Wisbech Town 4th’s 5

WITH Louth having last week off due to Ely City forefeiting the game, they travelled down to fourth from bottom Wisbech Town, to play their 4th team.

Louth lost the coin toss (again), so Wisbech had the push back to start the game.

After previous weeks poor first half performances, Louth wanted to start the game all guns blazing.

Louth didn’t disappoint and within ten minutes of the start the away side were 1-0 up thanks to an Andrew Webster strike.

The next 15 minutes was textbook stuff by Louth. They kept possession well and didn’t let Wisbech have a decent chance on goal.

With the home side rarely venturing out of their own half, they succumbed to a low shot across the D into the right bottom corner of the goal by Stuart Trotter, 2-0 to Louth.

As half time approached Louth let their guard for a split second and Wisbech scored a scrappy goal to make it 2-1 at half time.

Louth began the second half well, when they were awarded a penalty corner which they promptly scored with a powerful flick to bottom corner by Richard Limmer, 3-1 to Louth.

Wisbech came back at Louth, with a devastating ten minute spell. Scoring three quick goals all from penalty corners, 4-3 to Wisbech.

Louth regrouped and doubled their efforts and attacked with vigour down the left wing leading to William Trotter scoring the equaliser. It was now 4-4.

With the game now getting more and more stretched, the home side again pressurised the Louth defence with each charge.

Wisbech quickly switched the play from right to left and scored again, 5-4 to the home side.

Louth put this behind them and battled on. They made good inroads in to the Wisbech back line and worked the ball around the D where William Parker hurled the ball into the goal.

All square again 5-5, with ten minutes left on the clock.

Wisbech broke again but Louth defended resolutely and launched a speedy counter assault, only for the home side’s keeper to cajole Andrew Webster from behind.

This did not matter, as the ball rolled free to William Parker who fired home to score the winner. It finished 6-5 to Louth.

A feisty game, but a gritty team performance especially in the second half delivered the win.

Man of the match this week was shared by Andrew Webster and Nick Howman.

Louth remain top of the league with seven wins clocked up already.