MOTOR RACING: Two point finishes for Peter Hickman at Thruxton

Peter Hickman in action at Thruxton - Photo: Dave Yeomans EMN-140408-090356001
Peter Hickman in action at Thruxton - Photo: Dave Yeomans EMN-140408-090356001

Louth Superbike rider Peter Hickman scored two points finishes at Thruxton in round six of the MCE British Superbike championship on Sunday to score another 10 championship points.

The result brings his total to 22 after just three outings on the RAF reserves Honda Fireblade.

Qualifying went well for Hicky and he made it through to the final stage in eighth position to start the first race from the third row.

But with the Honda being down on power, he dropped back to spend the majority of the race circulating in ninth place. On the penultimate lap John Hopkins moved ahead demoting Hicky to 10th and on the final lap he was drafted down the back straight and overtaken by Jon Kirkham and Patric Muff who left Hicky to cross the finish line in 12th place.

“I was not too happy about that,” said Hicky. “I had ninth place for most of the race and thought I would be able to hold them off. But my Honda is no match for the Kawasaki and BMW as we are well down on power.

“I can catch them on cornering but once we get on the long fast straights they are able to pass me.

“I have the pace to stick with them but haven’t got the horsepower to overtake them. But it’s another points’ finish for the team and we will see how we go in race two.”

Starting the second race from the third row, Hicky got away to a good start and was up to sixth on the first lap. He had just moved ahead of Chris Walker for fifth place when the pace car came out and then the red flag as oil had been spilled onto the tarmac.

At the restart, the race now reduced to 15 laps, Hicky once again got a good start.

He was fifth on the opening lap but was passed by Kiyonari on lap two. But Hicky managed to stick with the five leading machines until he was caught by Kirkham and Hopkins.

They both managed to overtake at the complex and one lap later Stuart Easton also made it through. That left Hicky to fight it out with Howie Mainwaring and they exchanged places on the last three laps with Mainwaring powering past at the complex to snatch ninth place leaving Hicky to take the chequered flag in 10th.

“Ah, what can I say; I had a mint start in the first part of the race and was sitting in a comfy fifth position when the red flag stopped me in my tracks.

“At the restart I discovered the new rear tyre was a dud and I did the best as I could with what we had.

“Big thanks to the team; the bike has been awesome all weekend. Unfortunately the results don’t show reflect just how fast we were.”

It is a quick turnaround for the team as the next round is at Oulton Park this weekend (August 10) when Hicky will be hoping to get away to a good start in both races to stick with the leaders once again.