Lincs Cricket League: Louth Seconds ease past Frodingham

Lee Freeman (left) with Second XI stand-in skipper Steve Wright EMN-160808-131441002
Lee Freeman (left) with Second XI stand-in skipper Steve Wright EMN-160808-131441002

With several players drafted into First XI action, and skipper Arran Brindle playing for Southern Vipers, Steve Wright took a depleted Louth Second team to Appleby Frodingham.

Winning the toss, Wright put the opposition into bat, but with no recognised opening bowlers, the decision looked at first to have been a mistake.

Makeshift opener Reggie Koen (left) with Harry Cearnes EMN-160808-131456002

Makeshift opener Reggie Koen (left) with Harry Cearnes EMN-160808-131456002

Simon Taylor took a liking to makeshift openers Fisher and Duell, dispatching the ball regularly to the boundary, but Lee Freeman’s introduction stemmed the flow of runs and he made the breakthrough at 46-1.

Two overs later he clean bowled the free-flowing Taylor (42) with the score on 65-2, and with Luke Freeman bowling at the other end and Liam Grimes joining Vinnie Grimes at the crease it became a match of father and son.

The score reached 92 before Freeman Senior had Grimes Junior caught behind by Tye. Hotchin then followed without troubling the scorers, and when Wright replaced Luke Freeman, he immediately removed the dogged Grimes Senior, caught by Cearnes, to leave the hosts in dire straits at 92-5.

Wright’s unorthodox action soon claimed a second wicket, stumped Tye, and a third followed as veteran John Taylor missed the straight delivery and he departed lbw without scoring (114-7).

Bramley looked to push on, but also missed the straight ball, departing for a quickfire 21.

With the stubborn tail refusing to give in, Lee Freeman (5 for 47) finally claimed his fifth wicket as Tye stumped Ben Kirk.

Wright (5 for 27) also had his five-for as Collier was bowled, leaving Frodingham all out for 162.

The skipper changed the batting order to try and give the Louth reply impetus, and the middle order finisher Koen joined Tye at the top of the order.

Tye looked forceful before departing for 14, but Harry Cearnes soon became the aggressor, timing the ball beautifully to the boundary.

Cearnes had reached a glorious 56 and moved Louth to 102 before he tried one shot too many and was bowled.

Having played the unusual role of anchoring the innings, Koen now looked to press on with Wright and quickly moved into the 40s.

Wright also scored freely until he lost his wicket with the score at 152, and a nervous-looking Koen moved towards his half-century.

He reached the landmark, but lost his wicket in the next over, bowled by Liam Grimes for 54.

With only four runs required, Kully Bains ensured a six-wicket victory in the 36th over.

Saturday brings the return fixture at London Road (1.30pm start). The bar will be open and all visitors welcome.