Reds and greens’ muddy victory

Market Rasen & Louth 1st XV 55 Bakewell 1st XV 14

THE red and greens tore into Bakewell like a mini tsunami on a miserable afternoon.

Bakewell conceded two early penalties, the first giving Rasen the territory for a catch and drive and the second providing Matt Neesham with his first shot at goal, which he converted with ease to open the scoring after two minutes.

Rasen played some scintillating rugby and totally dominated their Derbyshire opponents for 20 minutes.

Fly half Owen Denovan drilled a penalty kick to touch to facilitate the well rehearsed catch and drive move, much loved by the forwards, enabling the Rasen pack to drive hooker Pete Southwell over for the first try of the match.

From a stable platform, skipper Dean Hutchinson picked up from number eight and cut through the Bakewell defence before finding his winger Rob Rigby in support.

With his way blocked by a defender, Rigby chipped over the top and just managed to win the race against the cover defence for the touchdown, much to the disapproval of the visitors and their vociferous support.

The referee stood by his decision and then punished Bakewell for their dissent by awarding Rasen a penalty from the restart.

With the conditions unconducive to free flowing rugby, Rasen continued to dominate through their forwards and despite spirited resistance, Bakewell found their woes compounded as a forward received a yellow card for pulling down a maul.

The second half was a largely forgettable affair with the two sides nullifying each other as the Willingham Road pitch deteriorated into a quagmire.

Rasen had received yellow cards for Chris Starling and Dean Hutchinson before the game was re-ignited in the last ten minutes. A further yellow card for Bakewell precipitated another score as Rasen administered a bit of their own medicine by taking full advantage of a quick tap penalty.

Giant prop Ollie Cole was unstoppable from short range to join his partners from the front row union on the score sheet.

Given the conditions, the handling shown for the final score was of the highest order, as neat interplay took Rasen closer to the line before scrumhalf Chris Everton spotted a gap and darted through it to double his tally for the game.

Matt Neesham had been accurate with the boot, converting the flurry of tries at the end of the game to see Rasen victorious.